UDP-based (user datagram protocol) attacks increased by 15 percent this quarter, targeting hijacked devices connected to the Internet of Things (IoT).
- UDP-based (User Datagram Protocol) attacks accounted for 77.4%, representing a 15% increase over Q1.
- 23.68% of attacks targeted a single vector, while the rest (76.32%) were blended, multi- vector attacks.
- More than 64% of attacks lasted less than 90 minutes; only 2.3% lasted longer than 1,200 minutes (20 hours).
- 90% of attacks were smaller than 10Gbps (that’s large enough to knock a firewall or IPS offline, or take down networks that don’t have high-capacity, anti-DDoS mitigation).
- About 34% of attacks originated from the People’s Republic of China (PRC), while 20.9% and 10.1% had IP sources, respectively, in the US and Switzerland.
- Within the Asia Pacific region (APAC), about 75% of attacks originated from the PRC, 11% from Hong Kong, and 3.5% from Australian IP addresses.